Deccan Gymkhana Tea Stall or Appa Canteen
Deccan Gymkhana Tea Stall or Appa Canteen as it is popularly called is a very old tea stall which is more than 60 years old. This tea stall has really a good reputation even though lot of modern restaurants are coming up in Pune.
Appa Canteen is one of the most popular restaurants in Pune city. Ramachandra Nagesh Bhat or Appa as he is popularly called started Appa Canteen 60 years ago. For more than 50 years, this man Appa use to reach his canteen in the early morning at 4.00 AM and then go to buy vegetables and comes back after buying the vegetables and starts preparing steaming hot Idlis, or Sabudana Khichidi for the breakfast. Now Appa is more than 82 years old. Even the NRIs also visit this tea stall for the breakfast offered by Appa. The NRIs also often write to him and send their photos.
Appa Canteen small restaurant is being run by Bhat family and has very good reputation in Pune city. This restaurant is a favourite for all Punerites for many decades. This restaurant maintains the tradition and taste of indian food. Appa Canteen has been and is now also the favourite for many generations of Puneites.
The restaurant was washed off in the year 1961 during Panshet Floods and Appa has again rebuilt the restaurant by beginning from scratch. Many of his customers helped him to rebuild the restaurant. This is the only restaurant which did not change since its inception.
Appa’s canteen and Coca Cola share a long relationship. A sticker that dates back to 1954. Another placard from 1974 just before Coke had to wind up operations in India. ” I have sold Coke for One Rupee in 1974, in fact, for 90 paise … loose change was a problem. Today, I sell it for Rs.12 !” adds Shrikant Bhat, the elder second generation Appa!
Menu of Appa’s Canteen in Pune
The menu card of Appa’s Canteen is as follow:
- Monday – Morning: Sabudana Khichadi + Kakadi,
- Dosa, Shira.
- Monday – Evening: Dahi Wada, Batata Wada, Masale Wada, Dosa, Tomato Omelette, Bhaji, Kachori (stopped since 1992 but available against orders).The evening menu has remained unchanged for each and EVERY DAY for just about 60 years ! And is the same every evening to date.
- Tuesday – Morning: Upeet, Wada Sambar, Dosa, Sheera.
- Wednesday – Morning: Idli Sambar with Shev, Kanda Pohe, Shira.
- Thursday – Morning: Sabudana Khichdi Kakdi, Dosa, Sheera
- Friday – Morning: Idli Sambar (started in 1957 by demand) + Upeet.
- Saturday -Morning: Sabudana Khichdi Kakdi, Sheera, Dosa.
- Sunday – Morning: Idli Sambar, Kanda Pohe.Matar Usal with slice is available round the year.
Many prominent personalities like late Shakuntala Paranjpye & her father Wrangler Paranjpye, and Prominent sports personalities like Ramanathan Krishnan, his son Ramesh Krishnan, Sashi Menon, Nandan Bal, Sujay Ghorpade and of course the original billiards champion Wilson Jones were regular visitors to this restaurant.If you are a Puneite and familiar with Appa’s Canteen – you need no invitation. But for new visitors to Pune, please make a visit to this restaurant.
Address of Appa Canteen
The address of this canteen is given below:
Appa’s Canteen Or Deccan Gymkhana Tea Stall
Next to the Billiards Department, Deccan Gymkhana,
PUNE 411 004.
Timings : Mornings 8 a.m. to 11.p.m. Evenings 4 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
That is all about Appa canteen in Pune. Every one should visit this canteen at least once in their life time and taste the food there.